Thursday, 1 November 2007

Our daily bread is fresh from the factory floor

Today the Office Supervisor showed me where the shop is.

It's a tiny cupboard of a room down on the Production Level.

In the past few days the shop hours have been a little short because of holidays and illness but next week, I should be able to go after I've finished work at 14:00.

There was one lady sitting in the corner of this cupboard with a hatch window to speak to us. She was surrounded with trays of bakery goods. Every kind of product ("units" in factory speak) stacked up around her. She was pinned in and must have pulled wheeled trays of bread into the room after her to get it all to fit in.

I asked for a Winter Fruit loaf and some wholemeal rolls and paid less than a £1 for them both.

Bargain.

We got back up and I put the goodies in the carrier bag before getting back to work answering the 'phones.

What I didn't realise, until I got home and retrieved them from the bottom of the bag, was that the bread is also far fresher than the loaves you usually see in the supermarket. At least two to three days fresher.

The rolls were so soft that they had concertina'ed to the bottom of the packet. To use them, I would have to straighten them out first.

When I got home, I'm afraid the Winter Fruit loaf didn't survive till the evening. I had it all. Then I had to fight sleepy lethargy for the rest of the day. I just couldn't bring myself to do much at all.

I could get very much fatter working here.