Thursday, 12 March 2009

Okay now, just breathe

I've just had the crappiest two days that I've ever had in a very long time.

It started yesterday with smart clothes and a pretty bad interview.

One of the interviewers brought me up from Reception and I was brought up two floors (no lift) to a conference room.

She was a very small, thin and very quietly spoken girl who I assumed was the HR body.

He was brasher and did most of the talking. I addressed most of the answers to him until after I found out that the quiet shy girl was in fact the line manager for the post I had applied for.

After a long interview with the warning that I'd hear about second interviews some time next week (translation "don't call us, we'll call you"), I was taken back to Reception.

I went back to work.

After a long day, I went to the ATM at HSBC for a ministatement. Where I found this
Mar11 O2(UK)LTD PREPAY 30.00-
What?
I'm with Orange PAYG?
WTF?
I went home in a strop and called HSBC telephone banking system. Where I had to stay silent and not type any details into the handset in order to get through to a customer services advisor.
Then I had to set up my telephone banking security stuff as I was a "heavy user" of the ATM and in-branch services.
Then I was "helpfully" told that as all my card security details (including the little 3 digit security code on the signature strip) had been used to perform the transaction at 3:18pm on Tuesday 10th March 2009, I was automatically a suspect.
I was then given the third degree.
Where did I usually keep my card? Did I live with anybody? Did they know where I kept my card? What internet sites did I use? Did I ever lose sight of my card when paying for anything in person? Did any of my colleagues at work know where I kept my card? Had I given my card to anybody to use?
After answering these and many, many other questions, I cancelled and cut up my own card, reported the fraudulent activity and was told that if I could bring two forms of photo ID, proof of address and my cheque book then I could withdraw my money from the counter.
So not on Saturdays then.
Today, I woke up and called my boss. I was going to be in late as someone had done some identity theft thing on me and I had to sort it out.
I gathered everything together and marched out to the bank.
The customer services guy was not very helpful, but he was a bit more sympathetic that the advisor in the 'phone. Strangely, he told me not to go to the police as that was HSBC's job once the fraudulent transaction was investigated.
I went to the counter and withdrew cash and went on to the O2 shop.
Who were no help at all.
As far as they were concerned it was just my say so and until HSBC notified them of the transaction they weren't going to do anything.
Well, why would they?
Their 'phones are being paid for, they're making a healthy profit and the fact that at least one of their customers is a thieving scumbag is neither here nor there, really.
They also told me not to bother calling the police.
Why? Would that mean that you'd have to justify your salaries?
Then I went to work, arriving at 11:30.
And it was a pitifully bad day. I was fuming all the while, my boss had told people that I was going to be late and why so everyone was interested in knowing what had happened and telling me what had happened to them and no noe could explain why HSBC told me not to go to the police.
I went straight home and used my newly set up telephone banking details to find out my current balance. Nope. No more thefts. Still there.
I'm now twice as paranoid about security than I was before and I still have no idea how the thieving scumbag managed to get my card details.
The £30 to O2 was a test purchase to see if the card was live, according to the trawl through the moneysavingexpert.com forums and none of the posters has a clue about how it was done either.
Very reassuring.