Tuesday, 10 November 2009

What did I tell you?

I switched on my computer this afternoon and found a rejection e-mail from ORR. It was the usual flannel.

".........standard of candidates was extremely high......", "...............thank you for applying............", "......unfortunately, on this occasion..............".

I was expecting it.

I went out after applying for the 45th job and came back to an ansaphone message telling me to contact Selly Oak asap.

I arrived home at 17:25 and the message had been left less than half an hour before.

I made a brief calculation. I had been called towards the end of the day. The most successful candidate would have been the first to have been called, so that made me pretty much the most unsuccessful candidate they had. Or the least successful.

Either way, I knew I hadn't got the job. And SURPRISE! I got their ansaphone when I called back at 17:30.

They were in no hurry to get a reply from me.