Wednesday, 2 December 2009

Good grief

The house was in a worse state than I first thought.

Daylight does that.

I found a pair of disposable gloves that the District Nurse usually pulls out to tend to Dad and started.

I stripped the bed and cleaned the plastic mattress protector, found all the dirty laundry I could and set about letting soak while I cleaned out the washing machine.

I was retching as I wiped it out and set it to to wash at high temperature with disinfectant.

Having carefully removed the gloves and throwing them away, I set about vacuuming the place.

I then set about the bathroom.

The laundry alone is going to take days.

The double continenental quilt needs to be taken to the launderette again. More money.

£4 for a warm wash with pre-wash in a large machine and £1 for 20mins in the tumble dryers.

As it's entirely synthetic, it has to be on warm (not hot) and it takes another, what, £5 to dry the thing.

I walked to the hospital to save money.

Dad was grumpy. He'd been in hospital for two days. Monday, they weren't sure he could be admitted so he was there until late at night waiting for a bed.

Tuesday, he'd been Nil By Mouth in case he would go down for his operation but it didn't happen.

Confused about what day it was and where he was and not being able to hear the Australian temp nurse explain what the problem was, he was losing patience very quickly.

Dad hasn't been using any of the sterilizing detergents that he'd been issued with. The MRSA was a major concern.

As he was infected with MRSA, he couldn't just be slotted in 'whenever', he had to come last on the list of patients so that his would be the last operation before they closed the theatre down for the deep clean.

So Dad had to stay hungry until 17:30. If, at that point, there was no chance of him going to theatre, then he'd be given something to eat.

Dad was one of a number of patients who had been emergency listed. He was in an overflow ward with a number of men who were in a similar boat to him. But all of the men around him were going to be operated on before him.

Although elderly and some much older than Dad, they had all been taking better care of themselves and had tested negative for MRSA.

This was deeply unfair as far as Dad was concerned, he'd been in there longer than some of them and he should be 'done' next.

We tried to tell him, but he wasn't listening.

I took all his wet and dirty laundry home with me when he was given a meal at 17:30. It joined the rest of the pile of wet and dirty laundry left to fester until the machine was clean.