Wednesday, 23 December 2009

Now I really, really feel really, really bad....

There has been a change in the law about how receivership of incapacitated patients is managed.

I am not a Receiver any more, I am a Deputy of the Office of the Public Guardian. The laws and rules have changed regarding payments out that can be made.

The deputy is allowed to make donations to charity on behalf of the patient IF it's something the patient would have done anyway. There are limits to the money that can be given away but donations can be made.

The deputy is also allowed to bestow gifts to people on behalf of the patient IF it's something the patient would have done. The maximum is £500 to any one person.

I'm his niece AND his god daughter, I'm facing financial hardship and it would be something he would have done if he had the capacity to do so.

I've paid myself £500 from the Receivership account.

The money will have to be accounted for at the end of the current accounting year (13/02/2010) and I may be asked to pay it back if the OPG reckon it was an illegal transaction.

Even though there are thousands of pounds in the account and more lodged with the Court of Protection, I feel like a total thief.

I think I've found a brand new low point.